Thursday, September 20, 2012

Programming Notes

Okay. I think that my blog posts from this week need further explanation and clarification (and backpedaling).

My name is Jeff. I pastor a church in northeast Ohio. Shortly after I began that pastorate, I started this blog. It ended up being a way for me to process those early years of ministry, and to nurture a love of writing at the same time. Over the years, the blog has evolved and changed, from "adventures of a fresh-faced pastor" to emerging church fanboy to Serious Writer wannabe to...whatever it is now.

I began anonymous, although many family and friends were readers when I started. Now I have some church members who read and the blog is even listed on my church's website, so whatever. I figure what you see is what you get nowadays...I haven't changed really anything in response to that fact.

At times it feels like I'm speaking to an empty theatre, I won't lie about that. The big moment where everybody was writing and reading blogs has passed, it seems. It's been suggested that I land some guest-blogging gigs elsewhere. Perhaps I could invite some people to do the same here.

So am I staying? Sure, I'm staying.

Oh, and the "365 Albums" thing that I want to resurrect? I really had good intentions about that, but the pacing that I'd have to keep up with really is a bit insane. Don't get me wrong, I love music, but an album a day is too much. But I tell you what I will do...I'd like to take the spirit of that idea and apply it to something more manageable. So maybe I can covenant with those of you (if anyone) who loves the Pop Culture Roundups (haha, you're silly) to listen to no less than 3 new albums a week. That's doable. Totally doable. Much more doable than that other crazy thing.

So you're stuck with me, I guess. I can't not write. I hate quitting things.

Thanks, as always, for reading.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I enjoy your blog, and hope you keep writing. You've written some wonderful things about the pastorate that have really informed my thinking.

You certainly don't have to read mine, but you will probably develop more of a readership if you read and comment on others' blogs.

And I do think that, except for the "famous" blogs, the days of lots of comments are over. Most people use readers which enable us to scroll through lots of posts, but don't bother with the extra step of opening a blog to respond in the comments. I read lots of blogs regularly and semi-regularly, but only comment on maybe 5 of them a day at most.

Coffeepastor said...

Good point about using readers. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the affirmation as well!

Jeff said...

I'll echo Robin. I'm reading and enjoying. Even though you root for The Team Up North. (As a native Ohioan, I think I'm required to raz a little.) Anyway, keep up the good work!

Megan said...

Yeah, I use a reader, too. Anyway, glad you're sticking around. I'm going to try and be better about commenting when I have something to say...I often just ruminate on something you wrote and that's it. Conversation is good, though!