Friday, November 26, 2010

Pop Culture Roundup

I finally finished The Fellowship of the Ring. I don't have a whole lot more to say about that, other than to point out how anticlimactic the ending was. I mean, yeah, it's the first of three books, and so there's more to come. But the book has little to no movement at all. They talk and talk and talk, they travel someplace else and talk and talk and talk, and sometimes they sing in addition to talking. And then Frodo decides to keep on traveling to Mordor. The end. Awesome. Give me a year or so to forget what this was like, and I may be ready to read the next one.

So I started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Set in Sweden, we meet Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist trying to recover from a libel trial who is hired by an elderly millionaire to solve the decades-old mystery of his missing niece. We also meet Lisbeth Salander, a pierced, tattooed (one's a dragon) investigator who I presume will eventually help him out. I'm not far enough into the book for that to happen, but I figure that's what's coming. The first chapter is quite a slog, but then it picks up after that.

We watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving this week. I don't really make it a point to watch this one the way I basically need to watch the other two classic specials around their respective holidays (those would be Great Pumpkin and Christmas, in case anyone needed to know). I just don't think this one is as strong, nor is it as critically acclaimed (and the latter is due to the former). Nevertheless, we watched it because it's Charlie Brown and because it's Thanksgiving week.

Over at Internet Monk, Chaplain Mike tells a great story about caring for one's neighbor. It's posts like this that keep me visiting that blog.

I caught wind this week of a movie coming out next summer called Cowboys vs. Aliens. Take a look:

2 comments:

Luke said...

Cowboys vs Aliens looks to be either the greatest movie ever made or the worst since Battlefield Earth. i really enjoyed the movies of the "girl with the dragon tattoo" series but couldn't read 'em. get tedious at times. and this is coming from a guy who LOVES the LOTR's books.

paradox much? why, yes, i make my living off of it.

Philosophy Encyclopedia said...

Luke it's just that books are always one step behind movies. LOTR is exception.