Monday, March 08, 2010

A Letter Written Ten Years Too Late

Note: This is one of my major "shoulda coulda woulda" items related to what I've been processing lately. In fact, it's pretty much THE item. Further commentary to follow in another day or so.

May 1, 2000

To the Members of the House of God’s Servants and the Campus Fellowship Leadership Team:

I greet you in the name of Christ, who calls us to unity in the midst of our diversity.

After much prayerful consideration in anticipation of my senior year at Heidelberg, I have come to a series of conclusions. These have not been reached lightly, but I feel that they are necessary.

I am hereby announcing my resignation both as a member of the HOGS, and as a member of the Campus Fellowship Planning Team.

It has been a trying school year, one during which I experienced no small amount of turmoil both in terms of my personal faith and in terms of relationships with some members of the Christian community on Heidelberg’s campus. Thankfully, I have regained a sense of stability in my faith by the grace of God.

It is clear to me that I have come to ideological odds with others concerning the direction of Campus Fellowship, with me in the minority. It would be in our mutual best interest if we parted ways. I am comfortable with this decision, and am happy to let this responsibility go. This includes playing in the worship band.

The House of God’s Servants will be more difficult to leave. However, I just don’t have the desire in me to continue. I thought that I did, but it was mostly out of a sense of obligation due to my chosen career path and not much more.

In short, my continuing with either of these groups would only be out of a simple inability to give up something that I really need to give up. It would only be out of ego, or out of some felt need to continue on just because I’m studying to become a pastor.

I have already notified college administration of my intentions, and will move back into the dorms in the fall. This will also allow me to focus on the senior projects that I will need to complete. I will also become more involved in my fraternity…I was incredibly dissatisfied with my level of involvement this past year, and this is the group to which I have chosen to devote more time.

I believe that I will be happier, less stressed, and experience a pleasant conclusion to my college years if I make these changes.

I hope that all of you understand and are as at peace with my decisions as I am.

God bless, and have a great summer.

Christ’s peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

erin said...

Looking forward to your reflections....


~Erin