Saturday, March 06, 2010

Click and Read

I don't really know the point of this post, but apparently that won't keep me from writing and posting it.

I like to keep the bloglist on my sidebar neat and trim. Early on, I loved having a big ol' long list of other blogs for me to click on. It helps me stay connected with fellow bloggers, and I just enjoy reading the work of others. These blogs generally are listed due to their humor, or they touch on issues that I'm passionate about, or they're thought-provoking, or they keep me from becoming too comfortable with my own viewpoint, or they keep me up to date on Michigan sports.

Occasionally, I discern that the time has come to drop some blogs from the list. The writer has seemingly abandoned his or her blog, I haven't found the subject matter compelling any more or the blog has shifted focus, the blog was added because of one post that I liked but I haven't really cared since, I haven't clicked on the link in months, whatever.

It's like church: if something isn't meaningful or engaging any more, why keep doing it?

There are a couple blogs listed whose authors I miss, but I find it difficult to click the "Delete" button. Most if not all the others are continually engaging and helpful. I commend each and every one of them to you. Even if you don't agree with the views presented, even if you don't ascribe to the same affiliations as them, I think that you can learn something from them all. I certainly have. I very briefly thought about including a description of each blog currently listed, but I'm not going to do that. You'll just have to click and read.

Like I said, I don't know what I'm trying to say. So I guess I'll stop.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I too have that dilemma. i like the blogs at one time or they stopped posting or whatever... i still hope for the chance of resurrection, but maybe not. if they comment on my blog and let me know they are alive, maybe i'll check them out again.

tough stuff.

Rev Scott said...

As one of your less active links, I'm grateful you keep me on the menu. I'm trying to be a bit better about posting regularly, but lately it's been difficult. Thanks for the plug, though, and I will do the same for yours!