Friday, October 30, 2009

Pop Culture Roundup

I'm still reading Home, of course. I was thinking the other day about how long it took me to really get into The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It took me a while because I was usually reading a chapter a night at best after a long day of church/Coffeeson responsibilities. But when I sat down for about an hour one day at a Panera Bread and was able to read 60-80 pages, I felt more connected to the book; at that point I wanted to carve out time to read more. Although I'm enjoying Home, I haven't yet had that Panera Bread type of moment.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was on TV the other night, so I was able to sit down and enjoy that. My favorite part is Snoopy as the WWI Flying Ace, and his trek through "France." I don't know what it is about that part...we spend a good 3-5 minutes in Snoopy's imagination, and it has little to do with Halloween, at least directly. Of course, if one thinks of Halloween as a chance to pretend to be someone else for a night, then it makes perfect sense to devote this much time to it.

This week I've been listening to David Arkenstone's Chillout Lounge. I'm not really well-versed in the chillout genre, but I know enough to recognize some of the tunes on this disc. I mean, I guess it's original material, but I feel like I've heard bits and pieces of these songs before. Not that chillout artists ever sample from each other, of course. Anyway, this is a good laid-back album.

From around the web, here's another "Treehouse of Horror" clip. This was from their parody of The Shining, but I couldn't find a good version of the whole thing, which is another favorite.

No comments: