Monday, September 28, 2009

Staycation

Today begins two weeks of vacation time for me. The natural question that people have asked me has been, "So where are you going?" The natural assumption is that, when one goes on vacation, one is actually going somewhere.

That's hard to accomplish with a wife who is not on vacation and is in the middle of a semester of her nurse practitioner program, and a son who is...you know...in need of appropriate toddler-like care. Thus the result is the increasingly popular "staycation," where one doesn't actually go anywhere but just enjoys some time off.

I've taken staycations before, and they've generally been relaxing, save for the couple of times I was called back for a funeral (and we can discuss my boundary issues some other time, thanks). This particular time, I'll have just a little bit of "work" to do. I'll meet with one of Coffeewife's nursing school buddies for whom I'm officiating the wedding later this month, and I'll co-officiate my sister-in-law's wedding.

I've also reserved some time at a local retreat center at which I'll spend some time next spring during my sabbatical. And there'll be coffeehouses and books and walks through the local park and meeting Coffeewife for lunch at her work and Michigan football and hopefully the Tigers in the playoffs.

And I'm planning on playing the part of Mr. Domestic: laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, and cooking dinner on the nights that Coffeewife doesn't have class. I figure that there's no excuse for me not to do it, and I'll actually probably enjoy being able to focus solely on that sort of stuff.

So it should be a good couple of weeks.

3 comments:

Kraxpelax said...

Dark nights washed by distant rippling trees
and alien winds covering your eyelids, purifying
like everything, move on with splendid ease
leaving us a message: life will never cease
its sleepy course in vain
in order to attain
rebirth, since Death is not and Life is dying.

The heat around Time's corner waves a scent
for creedence revival of some virtual vampire
as deep inside. A force considered spent
returns from utter non-existence that was meant
to keep us out of breath -
Is Life both Life and Death?
Riddle of the Night! The Day be hot and dire.

My Poetry Blog

http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/

More...

Adiós, mis vacas! Que pasa en esta temporada de tristeza?
La soledad se cultiva en las ciudades;
viva la muerte.
Uno no debe imaginar que el hombre es bueno.
El paisaje se despierta en un fiel espejo, pregunte.

La noche ha porches de la siesta en ruinas con pistacho.
Débiles enemigos se disipa amigos sin
valor. La calle es corta.
Hay falta de coherencia, la esperanza y la fe.
Todas las puertas evitadas saludan: No pasarán.

My tentatively spanish poetry blog;

http://hollb.blogspot.com/

Typically Swedish Next Door Girls Collection För Your LAPTOP!

:o)

My philosophy:

http://windormirrow.blogspot.com/

My Babe Misogyn Wallpapers:

http://screenfonds.blogspot.com/

Feel free to announce your blog on mine.

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, how do you think you will respond if "pillar of the church" dies while you are on staycation and the funeral is right next door to your parsonage? In my small town, I would find it very hard to say, "Talk to me in a couple of weeks when I'm not on vacation and care again." That's why I don't know if I could do a staycation and wonder how others in small communities do it.

bdb

Coffeepastor said...

I've taken staycations before, and every time someone has died I've come back to do it. To me it makes no sense not to if I'm around. Then the next week I'll take an extra day off. So you and I are actually on the same page, BDB.