Monday, February 02, 2009

What the H?

Longtime readers of this blog know how dedicated I am to advocating change in the church. I often write here about how we shouldn't be afraid to innovate, to try new things, to update ourselves. We shouldn't cling to the past just because it's what we grew up with and it's what we know. And those who complain about change should check themselves; should question what it is they're really afraid of or angry about.

Having said all that: what's up, Heidelberg?


I mean, you changed from "college" to "university" this past month. It was something that was in the works for a long time, and now it's official. You were a university years and years ago, so it's really just switching back. That's fine. I don't mind that. I was only planning on buying apparel that just says "Heidelberg" without "University." After all, I didn't go to Heidelberg University.


And are you going to send out new degrees to Coffeewife and me denoting the change? It feels funny to have a degree from Heidelberg College when technically that institution no longer exists.


But my biggest beef at the moment, Heidelberg, is your new logo. You used to have this script letter H that adorned everything. It was a classic, timeless, sort of piece. It suggested tradition and legacy while also inviting today's students to be a part of it. You see it up there? It looks nice, right?

But now, we have this.

Wow...look that that unique, distinctive, one-of-a-kind...uh...tower. I bet no o
ther institution of higher education uses their tower as part of promoting themselves. This is surely a concept that you, Heidelberg, have dreamed up on your own. You are groundbreakers in your field. While everyone else was using script Hs whether their name started with H or not, you broke the mold and went with your tower.

You could've at least used Beeghly Library instead. It's round and when it's decorated for Christmas it looks like a spaceship. To have a spaceship library as our new logo at least would have been more distinct.


So no more script H. Now we have a tower, like everyone else.


Awesome.

6 comments:

Becky said...

nice entry...i can understand how when we are advocates for change we have to have something that remain the same - so we get a little testy about some changes...

on another note entirely, I would like to talk with you further about your writings for Next-Wave and your thoughts on the emerging church. I am working to put together a conference in the Ohio area on the Emerging Church for the Existing Church and would really like to connect with you. Here is my e-mail, please contact me when you get a chance: beckers1976@hotmail.com

BTW, from my understanding you can't really be called a university until you have a graduate school, perhaps your college had one in the past, lost it and now has regained it? or something like that.... just my thoughts...

Coffeepastor said...

Hi Becky. Thanks for commenting. I'll drop you an e-mail.

Heidelberg has a modest graduate school with maybe four programs. My sense is that they've been looking to expand their existing departments, and the university designation aids them in that. Or something.

erin said...

I am dismayed by the change to 'University', but I am a bit of a sentimentalist. And I agree...changing the logo is LAME. Just LAME. Sigh.

I know I'm feeling nostalgic about those days and that what I remember is all the warm and fuzzy things, but all this change they're trying to skew as positive for the future of the college is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. No matter what the administration wants to say otherwise.

Monica said...

I'm "ok" with it being switched BACK to University (only because it was once a University before it switched to College), but I agree with wearing only stuff with just "Heidelberg."

Also - i HATE the new logo. What the H? is right! It looks like a lobster claw. I liked the old H.

It seriously ticked me off. Heidelberg is based on history and tradition, so why did they have to go with a "new flashy" logo?

Monica

Anonymous said...

Maybe when Berg alums return to campus for reunions they should wear the old H and make a point.

Coffeepastor said...

I've been told since writing this that the H hasn't been eliminated, it just isn't the primary logo any more.

Small clarification, even smaller satisfaction from it.