Monday, December 10, 2007

Second Monday of Advent

I figured that I'd have babies on the brain today, and I certainly do. Early this morning we were given conclusive evidence that we are having a boy. So now I can start stocking up on baseball outfits and toys. The trouble is that we loved our chosen girl name much more than the two or three boy names that we were just okay with, so we've gone back to the drawing board for that. We bought a book of names to leaf through, and I've found one that I think we're really starting to like...or at least I do. Our goal, particularly with our boy names, has been to find something less common, but without it being something off-the-wall.

Knowing that it'll be a boy makes this whole thing a little more real, too. Before this morning, there was just this indefinite, invisible thing growing inside Mommy that we could plan a little bit for without it having a real identity or form. This morning's visit changed all of that. It adds a level of exciting/scary that wasn't there before.

I also had a baptism yesterday morning, one of the calmest I've ever done. He just sat there in my arms, the water barely causing him to flinch. His eyes got a little wide as I walked him down the aisle, but he didn't even make a sound. This church is near the tail-end of a baby boom, so I've had quite a few during my time here. It remains one of my favorite things that I do as a pastor.

Preaching-wise, this Advent has been a much stronger year than last. Last year I was pretty daunted by the task of trying to find an original way to touch on the season's themes my third time through, and it seemed like I struggled most of the way. This year, I'd picked up a few new resources heading into the season and they've provided some fresh material. Last Sunday's sermon was entitled, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" (get it?), and yesterday I contrasted the two baptisms that John the Baptist talks about. The fact that I actually baptized someone yesterday also provided some opportunity for reflection. This coming week my focus text is the Magnificat, and I'll use McKnight's The Real Mary to reflect on how strong a woman of faith Mary really was instead of the pious passive little girl portrayed by Amy Grant. My working title: "Not a Desperate Housewife." I might think about that a little more.

This coming week will also be spent wondering whether my senior high kids would get anything out of watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, or whether they'll think it's the lamest thing ever. I figure they all at least need to see it once, but this generation doesn't know Peanuts as well as mine and those before. Oh well.

11 comments:

erin said...

It's a boy?!?! It's a boy!! :) I had a hunch it would be, but didn't want to say anything. ;)

Yay!!! Tell CoffeeWife I said congratulations!! Maybe we can finally catch up over Christmas--we'll be at Matt's folks for the day but are sticking around a couple of days after and they're not too far away, I don't think.

Anyways--yay to you!! :)

~Erin

ps. don't worry--I won't send anything Ohio State. yet. ;)

yes2justice said...

I'll be eager to hear how the Charlie Brown thing goes. I also am trying it out with my senior high youth at an overnight next weekend.

Anonymous said...

First - Congratulations on finding out it's a boy! Can't wait to hear more about your planning...

Second - YES - they NEED to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas. I have all the Charlie Brown holiday shows on DVD, and it is a STAPLE of my holidays. They MUST watch it.

HEY - I just realized I'm not on your blog list...does this mean you don't read my blog? :( Ok..I know my life isn't really THAT interesting.....

Monica
www.xanga.com/monicagail2880

the reverend grandmother-to-be said...

My youth played Christmas Story Jeopardy and then watched Charlie Brown last night. They loved it.
Don't forget the pizza.

Anonymous said...

A boy!

If I were you, I would name him "Tiger." You get twofold benefits from that. First is the constant reminder of your beloved team-from-up-north. The second comes when he decimates the PGA tour and can support you and Coffeewife in the manner to which you wish to become accustomed.

bdb

Miche said...

Congratulations! I am a coworker of CoffeeWife. The Charlie Brown Christmas is still the #1 Christmas special on TV, so I vote "yes" to showing it as well.

Shalom!

Anonymous said...

Yay on the boy...but you do know that baseball-themed items would have been appropriate for a girl, too, right???

Oh, and definitely go for the Charlie Brown. That Guy and I watched "I want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" last night, a "new" Charlie Brown special and it was just weird. Kids need the classics!

Anonymous said...

^^^^^^^^^^^^
um, that was from me...
-That Girl From Chicago.

yes2justice said...

Thanks for the baseball comment, "that girl from Chicago". I was thinking the same thing. Glad someone actually mentioned it!

Coffeepastor said...

Yes, yes, I would have taught my daughter all about baseball, too.:)

the reverend grandmother-to-be said...

I would have seen to that.