Thursday, December 20, 2007

MySpace is TEH SCARYZ

This is a story that I'm slightly embarrassed to tell, but it's interesting where it all ends up.

I started a Myspace account last night. OMG ADD ME 2 YOR BUDDIEZ~!

I had a specific reason for doing it. I discovered through my statcounter that some guy had found an old post of mine and had made a brief post about it. I thought that he'd misunderstood what I'd written, and I wanted to respond. However, the only way to do so was to sign up.

So I signed up, with very little details added to my profile because I wasn't really interested in TEH NETWORKINGZ. But right before I hit "submit" on a reply to his post, I realized what a loser set of actions this was just to respond to a guy on Myspace. LOLOMG!!11

So I dropped the whole thing and added a little personal message to the top of the entry he misunderstood instead for all future visitors from his place.

Now I told you that story to tell you this one. I signed up for this account last night. I checked it this morning just to see if anything new had occurred. There was nothing new in this post I'd been watching, but between last night and this morning I already had a message from some girl looking for local guys to hook up with (this girl is in Texas, so she's not that great with TEH GEOGRAPHEEZ). I haven't had my account for 24 hours and already I'm getting random propositions from people obviously not that interested in doing a little research first? What kind of crap is going on on that site, man? No wonder we hear about people getting killed for deciding to meet up through this place! They don't seem to do a lot of TEH BRAIN USINGZ.

So that's the story of the beginning and end of my relationship with MySpace. Maybe it'd be worthwhile to build relationships with the church youth if they have pages, but there are a whole lot of other relationships on there that I'm not interested in. I'd reconsider for the former. Someday.

6 comments:

erin said...

MySpace is annoying, that's for sure, but I do have an account (gasp!) and there are some folks on there I'd bet you wouldn't mind getting in touch with.

I learned the wisdom of keeping my profile private early on and therefore don't get any scary messages anymore. Except for the one guy who insisted he went to high school with me here in Rochester and is 10 years older than me......makes you wonder......

Anyways, Mike and I are on there, so that's two cool people you know and really, what more do you need? ;)

Merry Christmas Jeffie!!

Erin

ps. Run from MySpace while you can....seriously.

Coffeepastor said...

Yeah, the account is already deleted. I'm sure there are a ton of Berg people on there, but I don't know if it would outweigh the weird stuff.

I like Blogger better anyway.

LutheranHusker said...

As far as the whole social networking thing goes, Facebook is about 5,374,879,326 times better than MySpace, specifically because those things you mentioned in your post just aren't nearly as prevalent there. As a church youth director, I have both a Facebook and a MySpace page (as you said to help stay in touch with the kids), but I do very little, if anything with my MySpace profile. I've considered deleting it altogether, but am keeping it for now.

For the kids.

Oh, the sacrifices we make...please excuse me while I go clear out all my MySpace spam messages...

Remus said...

You just got lucky, I've never had problems like that. You're just the lovable kind. Or something.

:D

I'm with this guy ^^^. Try Facebook to connect with the kids...and besides, all the cool people are on Facebook.

Remus said...

Oh, and I should probably let you in on a little secret. It's not "yor." Oh no. It's better than that.

Try "ur."

Just for future reference. 'Cause I'm sure you'll need it.

Coffeepastor said...

Haha, very true Remus. I can't believe I forgot that one.