Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sometimes I Say Dumb Things

I don't know what it is, but sometimes I really just say some stupid things as a pastor.

Sometimes I catch myself doing it, and then proceed to say a few more stupid things to try to cover it up.

Exhibit A: last year I used a newspaper during a children's sermon and asked the kids what kinds of things you find in a newspaper. Back to back, two answers were "obituaries" and "wedding announcements." I made a comment about how weird it was that they were on the same page, which drew a modest chuckle from the congregation. For the remainder of the service, I began to wonder how So-and-So, who had lost his wife a few months prior, would have heard that. It ate at me so much that when it came time for the Prayers of the People I blurted out a prayer for "pastors who make inappropriate comments during children's sermons."

Or consider the most recent Consistory meeting, where I was in rare form (probably still giddy over finding out that I'm going to be a father). There's been a rather unfortunate trend lately where almost every time this past year when I've tried to take time off, someone dies. It's actually become a joke with the congregation at this point. So the other night I tell them that I'm taking my last two vacation weeks in October together to take a trip during the second week, "so when someone dies, hopefully it happens during the first week and I can still go."

I didn't need to say that. Sheesh.

Thank God that there's grace in the gospel, or I'd be screwed.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ah, I've had so many moments like this. It's good to have someone else confess them! ;)

Mrs. M said...

Amen. We've all been there.