Sunday, January 28, 2007

Pop Culture Roundup

I've never read Frederick Buechner before, so I figured that it would be cool to start. I've seen him mentioned in numerous places as an exceptional preacher, so I wanted to see for myself. I picked up Secrets in the Dark, and the first thing that struck me about it was the compilation of blurbs on the back cover by Brian McLaren, Will Willimon, Max Lucado, and Rob Bell among others. That's a fairly impressive range, I think. Anyway, this is a collection of Buechner's sermons that spans his entire career. I'm reading a sermon a day, using it as kind of a devotional tool. I have to say that as I've evaluated my own approach to preaching as something that needs to be accessible and personable, I soon noticed that Beuchner's style is much more poetic, and a little thick for people who would have to process it by hearing rather than reading. There's nothing wrong with some poetry to one's preaching, but Buechner can lay it on pretty heavily and I might have a hard time trying to keep up with him on a weekly basis.

I watched Firewall this week. This is your typical "I've kidnapped your family so now you have to do something for me and you'll try to outsmart me and ultimately we will have a final one-on-one showdown where your love for them shall prevail against my cold evil greed." There. Save yourself two hours. Harrison Ford does his dramatic talking-through-his-teeth thing and Paul Bettany represents British bad guys very well.

We've begun our systematic journey through the entire Scrubs series. Since we're using Netflix rather than purchasing entire seasons at a time, this will take us two years to accomplish. Nevertheless, this is easily one of the best shows on television. Hilarious and moving.

Robert Randolph is just freaking awesome.

Since I've been able to do a fair amount of blog READING as opposed to blog WRITING, I came across a few decent entries this week: iMonk writes about Christians and antidepressants, Scott discusses the pros and cons (mainly cons) of scheduling worship on Sunday mornings, and Brant shares a simple yet effective cartoon.

We'll see how long my ability to post lasts. We'll see if I'm even able to post this.

No comments: