Friday, January 12, 2007

Best. Lectionary Study Group. Ever.

RLP describes the coolest lectionary study group I've ever heard of:

Then I met Cristopher Robinson, an Episcopal priest here in town. We both grew up playing baseball and were talking about it and also about sermons. I mentioned that I had been wanting to get another lectionary study group together. I was in one years ago and enjoyed it greatly.

Right in the middle of the conversation, I asked Cristopher, “When was the last time you played catch?”

“Just catch?”

“Yeah, just got out with a friend and threw the ball back and forth.”

“I don’t know,” he said. “Years, I guess.”

“So why did we stop doing that? I mean, I LOVE playing catch. I wish I could play catch right now!”

And so was born a new kind of lectionary study group. I pulled my old glove out of the closet – the one I’ve had since I was 12. I had to re-lace parts of it, but it still feels perfect on my hand. Cristopher and I get together once a week or so. We throw the ball around while talking about the passages in the lectionary for the coming Sunday. Sometimes we just play catch and say nothing. Or we might stop, sit down and talk more seriously. We do whatever we want to do.

I was scared the first time we met, wondering how long it would take before I regained my instinctive feel for my arm and my release. The baseball felt very small in my hand, and I was pretty wild. And man, was I ever sore the next day. We’ve gotten together three times now, and my arm has loosened up considerably. It’s starting to feel natural for me to throw a baseball. I don’t worry about it. I just let it loose and feel the power of my arm. My whole body moves in the follow-through, and when our "study session" is done, I feel loose and warm all over.

It’s like the ultimate male yoga.

2 comments:

bdb said...

Found this news article online -- now you'll have more time to blog or attend lectionary study groups...

NEW YORK - Jeff Nelson wanted to retire as a member of the New York Yankees, so he agreed Friday to a minor league contract and then said he wouldn't play anymore.

raj said...

Funny, I quoted a chunk of that essay (isn't it a great idea?) on Sunday and basically used all the bits you didn't include in your quote. hee.