Saturday, December 02, 2006

RevGals Advent Meme

I wanted to play, although I make no promises on effort.

1) Do you observe Advent in your church? We do. We light the wreath and every year it seems I end up tying in my sermons to whichever candle that was just lit. My first year here it was intentional, but after that it found its way in anyway. The church also puts up with my refusal to have us sing Christmas carols before Christmas Eve...last year I discovered what a great selection of Advent hymns the old E & R Hymnal has, which helped a little.

2) How about at home? We do have an Advent wreath somewhere, but I can't find it. We don't light the candles, but if and when I locate it, it has a presence. I also keep the baby Jesus out of the nativity scene until Christmas and keep the Magi from visiting until January 6th (but that runs out of steam by New Year's).

3) Do you have a favorite Advent text or hymn? "O Come O Come Emmanuel" by a mile. And I always dig the Isaiah passages because when I hear them, I hear Handel.

4) Why is one of the candles in the Advent wreath pink? (You may tell the truth, but I'll like your answer better if it's funny.) I'm not going to attempt a funny answer...it's that kind of morning for me. Meantime, I will say that I've been in churches where they light the pink candle for love instead of joy. It may have just been a goof, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a one-year or one-time thing where it happened.

5) What's the funniest/kitschiest Advent calendar you've ever seen? I can't recall any truly silly Advent calendars. My mother-in-law sent us a sheep calendar last year. We also have a wooden Christmas tree onto which we velcro a new ornament...you have to see it for that to make more sense.

1 comment:

Songbird said...

Our Advent favorites are the same. What can beat Messiah?