Friday, December 15, 2006

Pop Culture Roundup

I haven't made much progress in Merton's Seven Storey Mountain this week. However, this is as insightful a book as I've read this year, with Merton speaking to my own experience in wonderful and unexpected ways. Here's one of my favorite quotes:

It is almost impossible to make much sense out of the continual rearrangement of our lives and our plans...People came into our lives and went out of our lives. We had one set of friends, now another. Things were always changing. I accepted it all. Why should it ever have occurred to me that nobody else lived like that? To me, it seemed as natural as the variations of the weather and the seasons.


I'm still trying to wrap my head around generations of the same family living in the same town and attending the same church for their entire lives. That's so foreign to me. The area in which I live now is the closest I get because my high school is only 15 minutes away...but I only really lived there full-time for 5 1/2 years. "Why should it ever have occurred to me that nobody else lived like that?"

We watched a little of Comic Relief 2006 the other night, where Robin Williams, Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg trot out a bunch of other celebrities (especially comedians) to raise money for different causes. This time around, it was for New Orleans. Crystal seems to be the most down-to-earth these days...they needed to put a leash on Williams and Goldberg had some weird moments. By far, Dane Cook had the best set from what I saw...he did a very relevant routine about how we tend to flip past the adopt-a-child commercials and how they need a much more angry spokesperson to get you to contribute: "15 cents! That's all! 15 @#$% cents!! You cheap @#$%!!" Hilarious and true. Dane Cook is awesome. Side note: they showed an edited version of this on some Turner station, and when it came time for Cook's set we only heard every sixth word. Oops.

When we left St. Louis, one of the things that I lamented the most was not being able to listen to the local community station any more. This station featured an a cappella show, a ska show, and more than one jamband show among others...stuff I already knew I wouldn't be able to find on the radio where I was headed. Little did I know that since I'd moved to St. Louis, the general area to which I was heading had acquired a community station. I don't know their exact programming schedule, but while I was out driving the other day I heard Gomez, immediately followed by The Decemberists. It was an awesome musical moment, restoring my hope in true diversity of the airwaves.

Around the web, Benny Hinn lets the bodies hit the floor.

2 comments:

MMM said...

OMG, that Benny Hinn video was priceless.

jessica said...

Since you're reading some Thomas Merton, I have a rather pointless contribution.
We have a family friend who is a monk at a monastery in Kentucky - I've been a few times to visit Thomas Merton's hermitage there. When I was around nine, I was made to put on a monk's robe and pose for the camera in Thomas Merton's rocking chair.
Fascinating? I know.