Thursday, December 21, 2006

Anti-Pop Culture Roundup

Next Friday will be the Year-End Pop Culture Roundup Spectacular, so this week I decided to do something a little different. Today I present to you some of the elements from books, movies, TV, and music that I have decided NOT to patronize...or do my best to avoid.

I usually take this in a certain order, but I've wanted to write about this for a while so I need to get this out of the way first. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, and this magazine gives a ridiculous amount of print to Grey's Anatomy. I've only ever watched one episode, for which I am thankful. Here's the thing: when I keep hearing about Dr. McDreamy and Dr. McSteamy, I quickly ascertain that this show is not meant for my demographic. It took me a little while to realize it, but all the people I know who like it are female. I don't think that is a coincidence when your biggest selling point is how hot Patrick Dempsey is. That's all I ever hear about. We always need a Dynasty-Dallas-Melrose Place type of show on primetime, and this is it. I ain't watching McDreamy. That alone makes me want to barf.

Have you ever visited that website that plays two Nickelback songs on top of each other and it turns out it's the same song? Yeah. Exactly. They're rock for people who don't like rock. The Top 40 stations love them for that reason. They need something "edgy" in between Gwen Stefani and Justin Timberlake. Too bad Creed broke up, eh? Dude...you seriously need to click on that link.

I've come to a place where I hate The Da Vinci Code. This is my first time admitting it, and I use that word purposely. It's less the book/movie/work of FICTION itself...the book is adequate as a novel, the movie less so. It was more the hoopla that surrounded it: Christians falling over proclaiming it the latest attack on their faith and atheists and disgruntled ex-Catholics throwing it up in the air and waving it like they just don't care. Both sides taking it that seriously started turning me off to the whole thing. Sure, it provided a good springboard for discussion about issues related to Jesus' humanity, the church's place of power throughout history, and the reliability of the Biblical accounts vs. extra-Biblical writings...but when the debate became more about how this book, this novel, this work of FICTION, was meant to be an authority text on any of these issues and must be revered/banned, I got oversaturated. It was an interesting read and a fun story...but people getting all hyper over it has brought me to a place where now I can't stand it.

I had to get this all off my chest this week. As you can see, I couldn't even wait until Friday. Next Friday, however, will once again be all the stuff I liked this year. Maybe I'll make this my annual lead-in.

No comments: