Thursday, September 28, 2006

Getting Permission

I made a change to the worship service.

This might not be monumental news to most. It wouldn't have been monumental news to me...until I realized that it was the first time in probably a year and a half that any sort of change had been made.

I brought this up to my music people.

I said, "I don't much care for this or this, either."

They responded, "Oh, that was just something [Most Recent Pastor] did and the other thing is something [Pastor Before Him] did. If you want to change it, go for it."

Why did I need to hear that first? It was almost as if I'd needed permission. But I've always heard it's easier to ask forgiveness, anyway. And that's pretty much been the case.

Maybe it's because I'm still asking forgiveness for other worship changes. Or permission. Sometimes I'm not sure which it is.

At any rate, I'm feeling a little bit of liberation from my own "worship rut" (that I didn't even know I was in) and thought that that was a wonderful enough thing to blog about, especially since my last few posts have been so emo.

So here's to asking for permission that I pretty much already had.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Its always better to ask, even if you don't have to. Its just about working with people rather than making them feel steam-rollered over. We can have the authority to make changes, but they are a lot smoother when people feel they are part of it.

Jeff said...

Well, any change that I make now won't seem nearly as huge as the ones that came before them. Trust me on that.;)

But of course, I try not to make these changes on my own. My admitting that "I don't care for this or this either" has been almost 2 years in the making. I was glad to finally say something and to hear others say, "Oh, that'd be fine." But nothing's gonna happen overnight.

bdb said...

So what did you do? Don't tell me you're not singing the Gloria Patri from 1627 any longer. Say it ain't so!!!!!