Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

The World Trade Center attacks set the tone for my entire seminary experience. It happened a week into classes, which introduced to me a sense of community as we prayed and cried and consoled and ate frozen yogurt.

Sadness slowly gave way to anger and debate, as the question of how to respond and why America is hated so much took over. Along came a variety of questions about George Bush's motives for Iraq, defenses of Islam as a religion of peace soured by fanatics, how to love neighbor and enemy, and our identities as Christians and human beings in our new reality.

Five years later, I'm not at liberty to offer a long rambling explanation or reflection this morning. The media will be saturated with such things and one more, even typed with my own hands, will be like ash. At least to me. I'm simply not up for it. In addition, I'll be observing my annual boycott of television in order to avoid the pomp and bravado, the sentimentality and the conspiracy theories. I remember how I felt that morning and the weeks and months after. I don't need someone else to tell me how to feel.

Today I'll just say a prayer. I'll say a prayer of thanks for people I love. I'll say a prayer of peace for a broken world. I'll say a prayer for pundits to give it a rest, if only for a day. I'll say a prayer for God to help us make sense of a place where people are willing and able to take such horrible actions and reactions. And I'll say a prayer for those closer to me hurting for completely different reasons, but for some reason their suffering seems amplified to me today.

And that's really all I have to write.

God's peace be with you, however you mark the day.

2 comments:

Richard said...

If it's OK I'll say an Amen to that

Jeff said...

It's absolutely OK.