Friday, February 24, 2006

Pop Culture Roundup

I started 1984 the other day. It's been sitting on my nightstand the longest, and I've finally gotten around to it. I need more non-theological reading in my life, so this was the natural choice out of the stack. I'm not far enough to really comment on much, but I'm already wondering if this is another commentary on communism like Animal Farm, or on something much more sinister. So far, I'm thinking more about fascisim/Nazism as a possibility. It's more glaring with the idea of Big Brother watching everything. The natural inclination nowadays might be talk of wiretaps and Patriot Act, but I'm wondering more about what Orwell had in mind originally.

I happened upon
Assault on Precinct 13 the other day and half-heartedly watched it while doing something else. It was a typical shoot-em-up, 'good guy has to work with bad guy to fend off really bad cops' movie in the vein of The Negotiator. It was an action thriller that was nothing special. I was interested in the cast, though: Laurence Fishburne, Ethan Hawke, Drea De Matteo, John Leguizamo, and Ja Rule were faces I recognized immediately, and a few others had me trying to remember where else I'd seen them.

Speaking of Drea De Matteo, Sopranos Season 5 was one of my birthday presents yesterday. I'd seen the entire season save for the finale, so I was happy to get some closure even though I'd been told about what happened. This was one of the better seasons, I thought. It focused more on the dynamics in Tony's crew and Tony wanting to be an effective leader. We've also been plodding through Buffy Season 5, which has been horribly depressing.

Yesterday while eating breakfast, I caught
Pink's new video for 'Stupid Girl,' which makes fun of Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton, booty dancers in rap videos, and the whole 'fake boobs, pink fuzzy track suits, fake tan' subculture in general.

Around the web, check out this commercial for Me Church. Then go here and
press this button to shut down the internet.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I read 1984 many years ago and really enjoyed it. I was only 18 at the time though so not sure if I was aware of the more deeper themes.
But then I enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13 (for what it was), so that may not bode well for you, lol.
I just finished the 4 series of Alias, definately deteriorating, but i'm still looking forward to the 5th and last one.

Chris T. said...

Season 6 (last one!) of the Sopranos starts next month!

Also, have you ever seen Father Ted? You should give it a shot--it's great.