Friday, February 03, 2006

Pop Culture Roundup

I've been working through Tillich...slowly. The material gets a little more dense in Part 1 than in the Introduction. I've also been reading Dave Barry Talks Back, which is much lighter. He shares such tidbits of wisdom as 'Never undergo any kind of major surgery without first making an appointment,' and 'if you must lick a toad, make sure it's wearing a condom.' Indeed. So true.

Academy Award nominations came out this past week, and this year I want to do something I've actually been meaning to do for years: make it a point to see all five Best Picture nominees beforehand. I've already seen Crash, so I'm 1/5 of the way there. I still need to see Good Night and Good Luck, Munich, Brokeback Mountain, and Capote. The lineup kind of reminds me of a few years ago, the year that The English Patient won. It's a group of smaller studio/Got Sundance to Fall Over Itself Applauding-type films. None seem to really stand out. But I guess I need to see the other four to see if that's true.

We've been watching a lot of
Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel lately. We have this new thing about picking up an entire season of one on DVD, and then an entire season of the other. Right now we're on season 4 of Buffy, which coincides with season 1 of Angel. However, we've already seen seasons 1 and 2 of Angel and need to catch up. There's a little bit of crossover that happens between the two. Angel seemed to take a little while finding its footing, and is a delicious dark complement to the more cheery Buffy. Angel has a wit as well (an episode in season 1 showcases Angel's dancing talent, which made me snort whatever I was drinking), but the overall tone is supposed to reflect the big cynical city.

I've been in a
Widespread Panic mood lately.

Around the web,
see how many of these you can get. I ended up with 23.

1 comment:

Chris T. said...

Good Night, and Good Luck is incredible—definitely one of the top two or three films of the year.

Brokeback Mountain was very good, but not as good as the short story it's based on IMHO. Still very worth seeing, though.

What did you think of Crash?