Friday, June 17, 2005

Pop Culture Roundup

I've been a busy reader this week. I finished Night, which is only about a hundred pages anyway. It's one of the most personal accounts of the Holocaust that I've come across. I've seen the terror portrayed in movies, in other books, and in museums, but this was an amazing read from someone who lived it. From there I took a 180 degree turn and gobbled up Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, which is a series of essays on Christian spirituality. His humorous and candid take on Christian belief and practice make the read both enjoyable and thought-provoking. Now I'm on to The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing, a half-memoir, half-analysis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I'm not too far into it, but so far the personal accounts have been very educational.

Once again, this is a week where I wish I could say I've seen a certain movie *coughBatmancough* but I haven't yet. Maybe by next Friday. Come to think of it, I haven't really sat down to watch any movies this week.

Well, this past Wednesday was our 3-year wedding anniversary and, coincidentally, Dave Matthews Band played a nearby venue that night. I got our tickets the day they went on sale, so we were set for this pretty early on. It was a great show. I expected them to be heavy on their new album, which they were, but they peppered the set with enough favorites to keep me happy. Their live performance of the new stuff did a lot to enamour me to it, though. Here's the set list:

Dream Girl
One Sweet World
American Baby
What Would You Say
Hello Again
Crash
Bartender
Hunger For The Great Light
Two Step
Steady As We Go
Grey Street
Dancing Nancies
You Might Die Trying
Crush
Stand Up

Encore:
Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd
Louisiana Bayou


Robert Randolph and the Family Band were the opener, and Randolph stepped in for 'Stand Up' and 'Louisiana Bayou' as well. Their live performance gave me a new appreciation for them as well. There was a nice grit to their playing that you don't necessarily get on their albums. All in all, a great night.

Around the web, check out the Batman Begins page. I can't wait to see this film.

1 comment:

Nick Dukes said...

Hey man, as far as pop culture goes, you should get a hand on David Tviete's "Faithless". If you give me an email, I'll forward it to you. Right now it's a formatative skeleton, (which is good since he's looking for criticism). I think you'd find it interesting, at least.